Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Color Experiment

I have been thinking of this color combination for a while now. Since before the February lady sweater mishap of 2008. The Cascade 220 I used which was a dark green heather had flecks of turquoise in it. And I had some limited stash of a lovely hand spun, hand dyed (with natural dyes) turquoise yarn. I wondered if the quite different yet similar colors would work together. I am much better at obvious matches and this one I wasn't sure about. So with fall around the corner I was inspired to swatch. Yes, actually excited about it.
Swatch or Blanket?
I think it works. And I am convinced I have enough to make a vest or perhaps even a short sleeve sweater if I stripe the yarn. One question remains. Turquoise with green stripes or green with turquoise stripes?
Better one?
Swatch or Blanket?
or two?
Swatch or Blanket?
I almost didn't get that last photo. Someone spotted me.
Swatch or Blanket?
and she is fast
Swatch or Blanket?
and it was naptime
Swatch or Blanket?
and the baby didn't have a blanket. She even took the swatch with her for her nap. I only wish I had measured my gauge before she stole it.

8 comments:

  1. absolutely adorable! i "think" i like the colors together, it's always hard to tell via the interwebs though... i would say it you find it pleasing then go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Too cute! I like the turquoise and green combo very much. It almost reads like turquoise and gray. I think edging in turquoise makes it a little more playful/sporty; edging in green is a little more preppy / wear to a polo match. I think either one would be very cute. I like the idea of a vest, which would be darling over white or navy. (I think there are a million vests in my queue (probably in yours too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my...so cute! Your daughter has no pants on - look at those legs! I think turquoise edge looks more spring/summery and the olive edge makes it more fall appropriate. Actually, I just realized that Finn's blabla doll is olive and turquoise striped, so I say the colors definitely work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, somebody get some pants on that kid! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the colors together. I think I like the turquoise edging better. And Eleni stealing the swatch to use as a blanket for her baby is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would consider what pants/skirts you want to wear it with. Since the green is kind of a mid-tone neutral, it's only going to pop against very light (khaki) or very dark (black) fabric. While the turquoise edge will really pop against any color. So if you have lots of grey or camel pants/skirts, I would vote turquoise.

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really like it! And ditto RD and Jen on the color comments- the green is more preppy and (I think) more fall appropriate. I think it would look very nice with khaki pants. Can't wait to see the pattern you come up with!

    ReplyDelete