Sunday, September 14, 2008

A first time for everything

As a parent, I am always happy to share my daughters "firsts". Announcing the first time she rolled over marking the beginning of her mobility. The first tooth, and the trauma which brought it to the surface. And I am sure there will be many other first that I get excited over. However this particular one I could have done without. Our first trip to Children's Hospital's ER.

It started with a cold on Friday night. But something seemed different. She woke up from her sleep coughing and gasping for breath. I convinced myself that she was just worked up it, especially after K was easily able to settle her down. Saturday she seemed sick, but nothing exceptional. Sunday morning her long lashes where glued to one another with eye gook, and her nose was nearly sealed shut with snot. However even after cleaning her face off, she was still not herself. Plans where canceled for our weekly breakfast trip to Eat'n Park. Lunch plans to K's grandparents where canceled and we called the doctor.

The nurse said because she was wheezing the doctor wanted to see her. So we ran to the doctors expecting that our little cold would be taken care of in an hour or two. Well. Our expectations where wrong. When will I learn? Never expect anything to go the way you plan with little ones! The doctor suggested a trip to the ER would be the best. So there we where. Unprepared and headed to Children's. A diaper bag with only three diapers, wipes and my wallet. No toys. No food (for mommy and daddy). Nothing.

The visit was uneventful. We had friendly and helpful doctors and nurses take care of us. We had some chest x-rays (another first), some treatments, and by the end of our stay a much happier baby.

Lessons learned- Trust your instinct. I knew Friday night it was more than a regular cold. Don't be lazy, pack a well stocked diaper bag. Plastic bottles, foam cups, and hospital tubes are only interesting for so long. Call the grandparents periodically. K's parents knew we where going to the doctors. Nine hours after telling them that, and not hearing from us they where pretty worried. When you are wondering how much longer you have to wait to be sure the treatment was effective, ask. Be sure to mention the hungry dogs you left at home. It was a very effective tactic, and the dogs appreciated us coming home too.

And of course, EJ was happy to share her cold with mommy. Lets just hope daddy stays healthy.


  1. oh no! I'm glad everything is ok. We've yet to have that first, but there have been a few worrisome fevers and "off times." Isn't it amazing/weird/wonderful how mother's just know when their kids are off. It's definitely one of my senses now. Feel better, all of you! Don't forget to ask for help if you need it!

  2. if we would have known anything was going on, we could have gone over to see the tootsies for awhile. gosh! then that'd be one less worry for you!

  3. Poor EJ! I hope she is feeling better now.

  4. goodness! that's also not a first that i'm looking forward to either...

    i'm glad she's ok and i hope you are all on the mend soon!

  5. oh my - poor little thing!!

    that's such a scary feeling as a parent. when kira was 3 we took that dreadful trip to the ER to find out she had pneumonia - in june! they almost admitted her overnight, but she responded well to the breathing treatments and we were able to take her home.

    hope she, and you, are feeling better!!!!

    <3 nic

  6. oh :( I'm sorry you had to go to the ER, but glad everyone's ok. I actually spent all of my saturday visiting a hospital in columbus...but that's a story best saved for email.

    Hope you all feel better soon!